EDUC 4673: Teaching English as a Second Language
(also cross-listed as EDUC 5693)
This 3 credit-hour course will provide you with the basic skills required to plan and teach ESL classes in a variety of contexts. Online components, including readings, short lectures and discussion forums, will be combined with hands-on workshops which will introduce you to a range of teaching methods and enable you to analyze and develop course materials.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Critique and compare approaches to TESOL
- Discuss the main considerations, including classroom management, when teaching reading, writing, speaking, listening, grammar, pronunciation, and lexis
- Analyze existing TESOL classroom materials and create your own
- Discuss professional practice and development
- Plan, prepare to teach and evaluate an ESL class
Pre-requisites: You must meet the entrance requirements of Acadia University and have demonstrated some undergraduate course experience.
Instructional Hours: 36